Some children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) will also have medical needs. These children may have an Education, Health, Care Plan (EHCP) or a medical care plan.

Clinical commissioning bodies are responsible for securing the health care provision for these children and young people. The local authority has a specific duty to ensure that joint commissioning includes health care provision for any child or young person with SEND in education or training.

BLMK Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) commissions healthcare services in Milton Keynes.

To find out more about how Milton Keynes is responding to these duties, take a look at the MK Local Offer.

In this section you will find information on following topics:

Medical Needs Health Care plans

Children who have continuing health needs should have an individual healthcare plan that is reviewed annually or earlier if the child’s needs change. There is no set format and depends on the individual needs, DfE has outlined details in statutory guidance: Supporting pupils at school with medical conditions.

Individual healthcare plans can help to ensure that schools effectively support pupils with medical conditions. They are developed in partnership between the school, parents and the relevant healthcare professional who can advise on a child's case. The aim is to ensure that schools know how to support your child effectively and to provide clarity about what needs to be done, when and by whom.

Education Health and Care Plans – Section C & G

Many children and young people with SEND will also require support from the health service. If the child or young person has an EHCP, this may cover their health needs relating to their special education needs. Section C of an EHCP includes health needs which are related to their SEN. Section G will include any health provision reasonably required by the learning difficulties or disabilities which result in the child or young person having SEN.

It is important to note that health care provision which educates or trains a child or young person is treated as special educational provision (section 21(5) of the Children and Families Act 2014). A good example of this is speech therapy. 

Appealing to the SEND Tribunal: As a part of the National Trial parents and young people can request recommendations about the health care needs and provision specified in EHC plans. The Tribunal can make non-binding recommendations with an expectation they will be followed. If they are not going to be followed then the Clinical Commissioning Group (for health) will need to write to the parents/young person and Tribunal within 5 weeks of the decision, explaining why they have decided not to follow the recommendations. 

Mental Health

SHOUT provides free, confidential, 24/7 text message support in the UK for anyone who is struggling to cope. Text 85258.

Mental Health Services - links to resources and websites that may be useful for adults (parents/carers) in Milton Keynes who have concerns about mental health or who are experiencing mental health difficulties.

YoungMinds Parents Helpline is available to offer advice to parents and carers worried about a child or young person's behaviour, emotional wellbeing or mental health condition.

Navigate is a national mentoring service, that provides online emotional support for parents and carers of disabled children who are finding out about their child’s additional needs.

Mind BLMK offers a range of services aimed at meeting individual needs and promoting mental health recovery, wellbeing and independence.

Health Services

Children’s Universal Health Services is available for all children, young people, pregnant women and families in Milton Keynes. All services are provided within the integrated 0-19 team and include Health Visiting and School Nursing. 

Health for Teens introduces a new and different way for young people aged 11-19 to learn about their health.

Young People - Health

General health and wellbeing resources for young people are in Good Health section.


You have the right to make a complaint about any aspect of NHS care, treatment or service. Many issues can be resolved quickly by speaking directly to the staff at the place where you received care or accessed a service. However sometimes you may wish to make a formal complaint which requires an investigation and response.

Milton Keynes Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) has outlined complaint process of various healthcare providers.

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) can help you in understanding the complaints process and can also provide some guidance and support.

Milton Keynes Healthwatch can also provide information about making a complaint.