Independent Living

Information to help you prepare for adulthood and independent living.


In this section you will find information on following topics:

Travel Training 

Independent Travel Training offers you support if you would like to learn how to travel on your own between home and school or college, either by walking or on public transport. You can do the training if you live in Milton Keynes, have a disability and/or learning difficulty and go to school or college. For more information on Independent Travel Training with MK Council, please see our Independent Travel Training Toolkit (PDF, 68KB).


Planning My Future Life - A person-centred planning booklet.

In Milton Keynes information on Transition can be found on the SEND Local Offer and Adult Social Care Hub.

For further information on Transition, please go to the Social Care section of our website.


As a young person with SEN or disability, you could get a range of benefits and funding to help support your needs.

If you are between 16 and 25 you may be entitled to some funding which could include:

When you turn 16 you can choose to claim your own benefits. However, it could affect your parents' or carers' benefits. If you'd like to start claiming your own benefits, first have a chat with your parents or carers. You can then decide which option would be most beneficial for each of you. 'Contact' has more information on benefits at 16.

Easy read guides about money and benefits for people with a learning disability will help you make decisions on the issues that matter to you. For more information, please see our Benefits Toolkit (PDF, 75KB).

Managing your money

  • MK Local Offer has information about how to get money and how to pay your bills safely.
  • Managing Money free training course for young people. It provides general information on how to manage money, set up a bank account, use a cashpoint, and so on. It offers real life experiences and scenario based learning.